Mastodon•ART — an inclusive creative community for creators of artwork of all types, such as illustration, design, 3D modelling, gamedev, photography, songwriting, composing, creative writing, performance art, poetry, ceramics, typography, sculpture, fibre arts, and more. We prefer •ART to be your main home on the Fediverse not just for your art, but also for your daily thoughts, witty banter, and friendly communication. Our community of 9000+ artists are here to welcome you to your ad-free and open source decentralized creative home in the Fediverse.
•ART is run by members of the community and is not a company trying to profit off of your life and art with ads. As such, your support via LiberaPay or Patreon to help pay for hosting and operating costs is greatly appreciated.
Note about registration requests: This instance requires the "Why do you want to join?" field to be filled when requesting registration. Blank submissions will be rejected.
Mastodon.ART General Information
Mastodon.ART (•ART) is an independent community-run instance and is not affiliated with the joinMastodon.org (tootsuite) organization. The following guidelines are not a legal document, and final interpretation is up to the administrators and moderators of •ART. They are listed here to provide you with an insight into the site and our moderation policies.
- Moderation Team
- General Notice
- Code of Conduct
- Federation Policy
- Hosting Information
- Please consider making •ART your main home on the Fediverse and refrain from making art-only alt accounts here. Remember, federation allows your art to spread no matter which instance you join! We want art to flourish all over the Fediverse, not just within •ART. That being said, we are happy to have you if you want to make •ART your home on the Fediverse!
- For more creative instances to join, check out this list.
- The following is not allowed on •ART: Bots, username squatting, registrations of famous trademarks/names (unless proof of identity is given). To be certain that your account isn't removed due to inactivity, be sure to upload an avatar and post at least once. Accounts without avatars or any activity may be deleted to free up registration space on the instance.
- Do not use •ART as a permanent back up or repository for your information, statuses, or media. Please keep an original copy of your work on your local machine, as Mastodon downsizes large file sizes. We cannot guarantee perpetual storage of your toots, information, or media on our servers. Please make a periodic local backup of your account to safeguard against possible data loss.
- You may move your account to another instance at any time by using the "Move to a different account" setting at the bottom of your Edit Profile page in your Preferences. You can also export your follow and block lists from the Import & Export page and import them into your new account to make the transition easier.
- You may delete your account at any time using the "Delete account" option at the bottom of the Edit Profile page. Keep in mind that federation of your statuses to other servers or search engines is beyond •ART's control — statuses, media and federated copies of your profile may remain elsewhere. Deleting your account is permanent, cannot be undone, and your username/content cannot be reinstated. (Your admin reserves the right to reallocate general usernames [i.e. @john or @susan] at any time, but will not reallocate custom/creative @uzerN4M3s.)
- We block or suspend many instances that do not adhere to •ART's ToS and CoC. Also, instances are intermittently and temporarily silenced during report investigations or when other instance moderators are not monitoring their users for any of the behaviours against our ToS/CoC.
- Please support the community by regularly boosting and positively interacting with other members.
- Mastodon.ART has a LiberaPay Account and a Patreon if you'd like to support the operation and maintenance of our artistic community.
- Thank you for enjoying and positively engaging with our friendly creative community!
Code of Conduct
The following guidelines are not a legal document, and final interpretation is up to the administration of Mastodon.ART. These guidelines are here to provide you with an insight into the site and moderation policies because all members are guests here:
- All users, local and remote, are expected to adhere to the following principles:
- If you repost others' work, you must credit the original artist/author, and must include some form of analysis or opinion on the work posted. Pure reposting of other people's work is not permitted. Fair use of copyright may apply here.
- Posting the same or similar content on multiple different instances (Fediverse servers) in order to spam local and/or federated timelines is not allowed.
- Respect other users' boundaries.
- Be respectful and sincerely apologize if someone informs you that a boundary has been crossed.
- Give people space if you accidentally push past a boundary.
- If you find yourself involved in a conflict and are worried about the situation escalating, contact your moderation team.
- Tag sensitive content such as violence/blood, politics, NSFW content, and other potentially upsetting or triggering topics and hide them under a Content Warning (CW). CW is a big part of the culture of the Fediverse, and CW potentially upsetting content is how we keep our community and the wider Fediverse safe and supportive for everyone.
- All users, local and remote, will be considered in the wrong in a conversation that goes sour if they participate in the following:
This is not an exhaustive list, and all moderation decisions are ultimately left up to the discretion of our mod team. If any of these don't make sense, please speak with an admin or moderator. We are more than happy to help you understand the problems with these kinds of behaviours.
- Microaggressions ("not all men", white/man/cis-splaining, using the wrong pronouns to address someone after being corrected, etc.)
- Demanding education on problematic behavior from a non-admin/moderator
- Skirting the lines of being a troll, or directly trolling
- Sharing DM screenshots or quotes from DMs or private communications publicly without all parties' permission
- Creating memes about someone without their permission
- Ranting or engaging in long rambling tangents on public timelines about a particular user without explicitly naming them (also known as "subtooting")
- Not tagging potentially sensitive or triggering toots
- The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline:
- Advertising and spam
- Unapproved news bots, post bots or follow bots
- Untagged/non-content-warned NSFW content
- Pornographic or sexually explicit imagery that isn't tagged/content-warned and marked as Followers Only
- Untagged/non-content-warned gore and extremely graphic violence
- The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline, and may result in account suspension and revocation of access to the service:
- Racism or advocation of racism
- Sexism or advocation of sexism
- Discrimination against gender and sexual minorities, or advocation thereof
- Xenophobia and/or violent nationalism, or advocation thereof
- The following types of content are explicitly disallowed and will result in revocation of access to the service:
- Sexual depictions of minors, real or fictional
- Content illegal in Germany and/or France, such as holocaust denial or Nazi symbolism
- Conduct promoting the ideology of National Socialism
- •ART has a zero-tolerance mandate for harassment or bullying — your account will be immediately suspended.
- Any conduct intended to stalk or harass other users, impede other users from using the service, degrade the performance of the service, or incite others to perform any of the aforementioned actions, is also disallowed and subject to punishment up to and including revocation of access to the service. This includes, but is not limited to, the following behaviors:
- Continuing to engage in conversation with a user that has specifically requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist may be considered harassment, regardless of platform-specific privacy tools employed.
- Aggregating, posting, and/or disseminating a person's demographic, personal, or private data without express permission (informally called "doxing") will be considered harassment.
- Inciting users to engage another user in continued interaction or discussion after a user has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist (informally called "brigading" or "dogpiling") may be considered harassment.
- Please do not flood the local timeline. We define "flooding" as posting three or more times per five minutes to the local/public timeline. Flooding drowns out other users and annoys instances we federate with.
- You can reply to the toots of others and banter back and forth as much as you want, as replies aren't shown on the local/public timelines.
- Please avoid posting many pieces of art/media all at once. Sticking to one post per ten minutes (with one-four pictures attached) is a good baseline to follow. Please respect others' content and statuses so that they can discover other artists in the local timeline.
- If you'd like to post long threads of many toots, consider marking the first toot as "public", and the rest in replies marked as "unlisted". This will allow users to click through the first toot to read the rest of the thread without flooding the local/public timelines.
- Regarding nudity/NSFW content:
- Illustrative nudity, body/anatomy studies, and titillating imagery intended for mature audiences are allowed on •ART, but only if tagged appropriately (ex. #NSFW, #nudity, etc.) and marked as sensitive or placed under a descriptive content warning.
- Tags are required so people have the opportunity to filter such content from their timelines altogether.
- Descriptive text is required so that people can make an informed decision about whether to engage with the content below the cut/image blur or not.
- If you're unsure whether to mark a work as sensitive or post it under a Content Warning, consider the following hypothetical questions: Is it something you'd be comfortable viewing in a white collar work situation? Is it something you'd be comfortable being viewed by a minor? Would you happily show it to your parents? A no to any of these questions may require it being CWed/marked as sensitive. If you're still unsure, marking it as sensitive/CWing it is a good bet.
- Illustrative pornography and depictions of explicit sex acts or sexual nudity (e.g. erect or engorged genitalia, body fluids, manual manipulation of genitalia, sex toys in use, highly detailed depictions of genitalia, etc.) must be posted as "Followers Only". (You can change the visibility of your posts by pressing the globe icon under the toot compose box.)
- Loli or sexual content of questionable age is expressly prohibited — your account will be suspended. (This includes cub porn.)
- Nude photographs are only allowed if done in an artistic spirit — however, it still needs to be tagged and CWed/marked as sensitive. Erotic photography, pornography, or photography that puts too much emphasis on the genitals is not allowed, even if marked "Followers Only". (We understand that this is subjective, but final interpretation of this rule is up to our moderation team. If in doubt, consider whether •ART is the right place for that kind of work.)
- Gore, vore, and blood violence must also be placed under a descriptive content warning or marked sensitive.
- •ART's administration team reserves the right to refuse service to anyone, as well as to remove your data at any time due to inactivity of any duration (to help against future unmonitored accounts from being hacked and becoming spam bots), unethical use, or usage against •ART’s CoC/ToS. This includes repeatedly skirting the lines of rules in bad faith without explicitly crossing them, or without attempting to understand and respect the spirit in which these rules were written.
All original content is copyrighted by the artist and cannot be distributed or used without prior permission by the artist. Do not repost or disseminate our artist's original content anywhere without their express permission.
Mastodon.art cares about your privacy and doesn't monetize or profit off of your personal information or art — your information is never for sale.
- Federating with Mastodon.ART is not guaranteed. Links between federated instances are temporary and may change or disappear at any time.
- Other instances may not disseminate our users' original content or toots without credit and proper licensing.
- Other instances may not use automated means to analyze any derived work for publication or profit without •ART's users' consent. This includes serving ads next to copyrighted content originally submitted on •ART.
- Public toots are derived works that are protected by copyright.
- This instance honours noindex/nofollow and search engines are not allowed to index content from such users.
- We will block, suspend, or silence any instance which permits any of the content or behaviour prohibited by this instance.
•ART is fully hosted and managed by Masto.host.