Belated welcome to #tumblr artists who are moving here (and other people who came in hearing about this place :) ). Here are 10 tips if you are new here, in no particular order.
2. it is ok to ask questions and join conversations as long as you do it respectfully, a lot of us met new friends here.
3. Nodes/instances/servers form the fediverse. Its a bit like like neighborhoods. You live somewhere, but you can also commute elsewhere. So you can communicate with people on another node. Your full username is @ username @ server.name (without spaces)
4. Different servers can have different features. (e.g. different length of character by post) different file size limits. They might also have different community rules. Take a moment to read your Server.name/about/more page to learn more.
7. You have several timelines on your dash. Home is people you follow, Direct messages are private conversations. Notifications are all mentions, boosts and favorites. Local timeline is posts from your server. Global timeline is everything that your server sees (not everyone, this one is a bit complicated to explain but briefly think of it like viewing distance in a game)
8. There are 4 post types on mastodon.
PUBLIC is visible everyone.
UNLISTED is visible everyone too but is not listed on local and global timelines (replies to toots UNLISTED by default)
FOLLOWERS-ONLY posts are locked to only people who follows you.
DIRECT goes to only people mentioned on the toot. Note that admins can see the direct messages, think of it less as secret and more as not spamming everyone on your follower list by a long conversation.
9. Take a look at your settings, you can customize your header, icons and information. You can actually verify your website and some social media links you put there.
Settings is also where you set your curate your experience. You can mute, block individuals or servers. You can require permission to follow you, filter out keywords. Change email settings etc.
What makes mastodon the unique are the communities. Get to know the admins of your servers. They are people like you are! Support them if you can afford to. (or even run your own node, there even is a managed hosting service out there for mastodon)
multiple accounts or to move accounts happen. Don't worry about your metrics, you won't be penalized for them. Post quality content, interact with others. Chances are you will find the same reciprocated.
Welcome to mastodon! :)
@eylul thank you, it was really helpful!
@Thavie glad it was useful. :) Welcome to mastodon. :)
@Thavie oh and very beautiful work. :)
@eylul Thank you for these tips! I've got a question that I haven't been able to find the answer for so far, if you boost a post that's got a CW on it, do you need to somehow post your own CW on it? (It seems like not, but I'd like to double check)
Also, does the boost inherit the post's visibility and/or can you set your own on it? (Boosting a public post but making it unlisted for instance)
content warnings and boosts Show more
@Stillwaters CWs (cuts/content warnings) remain as they are when you boost them. You can't modify them in either direction. You can add remove or change CW when replying through.
Boosts inherit visibility, actually you can only boost public and unlisted posts. (follower-only and direct posts cannot be boosted).
Thank you for the questions and welcome to mastodon. :)
Mastodon.ART — Follow friends and discover new ones. Publish anything you want & not just art of all types: links, pictures, text, video. All on a platform that is community-owned and ad-free.