So, I started to get some useful results with "git lfs migrate" last night, after I made sure to use Git clone to create the repo I was testing on, rather than a filesystem-level copy.

Then I started learning to use "git-filter-repo" (a 3rd party Python script that is recommended as a more efficient and simpler alternative to filter-branch for whole-repo history-rewriting).

I plan to use this to strip out blob data that was committed by accident.

git-filter-repo was fairly easy to install manually, because it's just a single-file Python script.

I have a lot of "*.blend1" & "*.blend2" files taking up space in the repo that were accidentally committed and later deleted.

I did hit a "gotcha" -- that "invert-paths" switch is pretty important! It tells it to delete the paths you are specifying instead of DELETING EVERYTHING ELSE.

No "undo" for this, it's all just gone!

Oops. So I'm starting over from the top, today!

Follow

Seems like kind of a weird default. Probably mirroring how filter-branch works, I guess.

I can see I'm going to have a complex procedure to write up! But I am finally getting some results with Git, which is kind of a relief.

Once I get the procedure down, I'll have to repeat it on each of the 12 repos I copied up to the server, and then push them onto the Gitea server, and I should be back in business.

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Mastodon.ART

Mastodon.ART — Your friendly creative home on the Fediverse! Interact with friends and discover new ones, all on a platform that is community-owned and ad-free. Admin: @Curator. Currently active moderators: @ScribbleAddict, @TapiocaPearl, @Otherbuttons, @Eyeling, @ljwrites